Thursday, February 23, 2017

:-)

Press play if you would like. If not, scroll down...


IMG 4062 from kyle kostic on Vimeo.

My name is Kyle Kostic. Hear me out.

It is Thursday 8:01am. We will talk about where I am at later. If you are following me on social media, you already know where I am. If you are reading this in book form or even follow just the blog, you have no idea what is going on. Stay with me.

My daughters name is Maecee Lani Kostic. When her mother and I were picking her name, we wanted to give her something that was beautiful and loving. We came up with Maecee Lani. Her first and middle names just feel good. They look good too.

We also wanted to give her something with purpose.  As a history lover, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of my favorite historical figures. I really like the fact that he pushed a message of peace and love. History usually leaves out the fact that Dr. King was not opposed to using physical force against his oppressors. It was actually the revelation of his true feelings that led to his assassination.

I wanted my daughter to have the qualities of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. That is why her initials are MLK. I wanted her to spread a message of peace and love. I also wanted her to be strong, have the ability to stand up for herself, and fight for what is right when necessary.

Eleven years later, my daughter has taken on the qualities of Dr. King. She is so loving. She is so gentle and peaceful. She has the kindest heart ever. She asked me if I was hungry or thirsty and checked on me 50 times today. She is sitting next to me in real time. Another example of how media in 2017 is pretty cool...


Do not let her kindness fool you though. Just like Dr. King, she will stand up for herself and stand up for what is right. Her personality is the perfect balance, just like her name. She is both linear and abstract.

When I took her out of school to go on this trip, I didn't do so with the intention of taking her to Disneyland 15 times, visiting arcades, and going to eat ice cream every night. Everything I do has to have a purpose. I have to be extremely efficient with my time.

Now I am not going to have her write book reports in the back of the car for the entire trip or anything. We are definitely going to have fun. Fun can be purposeful too. We need to have balance. Balance is one of the major keys to life.

On our first stop of the our trip, I wanted Maecee to visit Washington D.C. I wanted her to see history. Not only did I want her to know about Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., I wanted her to see the other historical attractions the city had to offer.

Here are some pictures...


National Museum of African American History and Culture. We were there the same day that our President visited the museum. We did not see him. 




 Washington Monument


White House
...

It is important for my daughter to know that great things were done by ordinary people, just like her. I want her to feel like she can accomplish anything. It just takes hard work and practice. An example that I always like was from Jim Valvano, the North Carolina State basketball coach who died of cancer. in 1993. After a hard practice, he would have his players practice cut down the nets in an empty gym. He wanted them to simulate the entire experience. He wanted them to will it to be. His underdog 1983 team would end up winning the NCAA championship, and would cut down those next, just like they practiced. 

Along with hard work and practice, I wanted her to know that doing great things takes bravery. All of the people we saw in the museum were brave, lived on the edge, followed their dreams, and created something beautiful. Dr. King stood up for the civil rights of a race of people in the face of imminent death. George Washington took on world power Great Britain in this countries fight for independence. Kyle Kostic was brave enough to express himself and write 3 books. It wanted her to understand she has that same blood running through her veins.

I wanted my daughter to simulate great experiences too. While I was in Rome, I stood where Julius Cesar stood. When I was in Egypt, I sat where Malcolm X sat. I wanted my daughter to practice those things too.


Here is a picture of "MLK" standing where MLK gave the "I Have a Dream" speech. 


MLK and MLK

Even after doing all of this, I wanted her to know that this route was only one option. If being in a museum or even becoming possibly becoming president was her goal and that would make her happy, there are no limits. I wanted to make sure she understood that if she wanted to make slime all day but was happy and was good to other people, that is a life well lived too No pressure. 

My favorite part of D.C.? The conversation. I really love my child. She is so neat. She so inquisitive. We saw uniformed Secret Service members, and she asked me... "How does a person even become a Secret Service Officer." I want her to ask these questions. If she asks these questions, it is an indicator that she understands that it is possible for her to become that or whatever else she wants. To be honest, I didn't think it was possible to be a Secret Service Agent when I was 11 years old. I didn't even know what a Secret Service Agent was. I am glad I found out what an author was though. 

We took our time in D.C. We are in no rush. I am not pushing it. A lot people are worried about me running myself into the ground. I PROMISE you, I have NEVER felt better. I have never felt so ALIVE. If I were at home right now "recovering," I would just be home alone all day. I would be waiting for Maecee to get out school. I would be waiting for Abby to get off work. I would stare at the walls I stared at when I couldn't get out of bed after chemotherapy. I would look at the floor that I looked at when I threw methadone up on every day. I would sit in the bathroom where I had horrible constipation. My home has become a stimulus. I cannot sleep there anymore. We are actively looking to move.

When I though about this, I really questioned my motivation to travel. I went to Vegas as soon as I could eat. As soon as I could get on a plane I went to Rome. I have cancer in Allentown. To a random person outside of Allentown, I am normal. I know people question me about my health at home because they care, but I don't really like talking about cancer all of the time. It is depressing. Was me travelling really me running away from Allentown in an attempt to run away from cancer? 

After thinking about it, I am not travelling because I am running away from cancer. I am travelling because it is part of my dream. My dream is going to come true. I am going to have traveled the world and written not one, but two books about it. Allentown is my home, and I am never going to run away from it. Everyone and everything I love is in Allentown. I want to come home and live a normal life,. I want to go back to work, pick my child up from school every day, and continue to help everyone I love attempt to achieve their dreams for the next 100 years. But cancer... shit I am going to run away from it if I can. 

But like I said, we are taking our time. I am not driving when it is dark. I am not driving for long periods of time. I am constantly eating my baby food, drinking water, and taking my medication (it does not make me drowsy and I am clear to drive by the way). If I get tired, I stop. We will be where I am at for a few days right now, so I will be ready when it is time to leave.  I am chilling. I am not even reading my own post right now. This trip has already done so much for me mentally. I feel free. I feel like I have a purpose. 

Our drives are long though. As we do with everything else, we make the best of it. We actually have FUN! My daughter is so fun to be with. She never complains. Our conversations are always interesting and engaging. She is a great road trip companion. 

We do this too... 

Untitled from kyle kostic on Vimeo.

If you are watching this in documentary form or reading this in book form, you can go to the blog and view my daughter and I making a video in it's entirety. If you are consuming this art via the blog, you are already at the right place.

That is all for now. We have a fun day ahead. Talk to you soon.

Love




2 comments:

  1. Love it!!! Safe travels, keep having fun!!! 💝

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete